Chirashi Sushi Recipe
For Vinegared Rice:
3 cup Short-grain rice sushi variety
4 cup Water
10 tbs Rice vinegar
3 tbs Sugar
4 tsp Salt
For Marinated Shiitakes:
12 x Dried shiitake mushrooms soak 1/2 hr
1 tbs Sugar
2 tbs Low sodium soy sauce
For Egg Crepes:
3 lrg Eggs
1 tbs Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 cup Sesame seeds
3 tbs Black sesame seeds
4 oz Soybeans (Edamame) or Baby Lima Beans
2 doz Shrimp, cooked sliced lengthwise
8 oz Salmon broiled
5 sht Nori cut into strips
1/4 cup Red pickled ginger
* For vinegared rice: Wash the rice in cool water. Drain. Cook the rice by putting the rice and water in large covered saucepan. Bring to boil over med heat. Do not remove lid, turn the heat to low and let simmer for 15 mins. After cooling, let stand with the lid on for 10 mins.
* Stir together the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Uncover the rice, put in a large, wide mixing bowl or roasting pan. Gradually sprinkle on the vinegar mixture while you gently stir the rice. Use a magazine to fan the rice mixture as you stir. Cover and set aside.
* Marinated Shiitakes: Put the mushrooms in a small saucepan with enough of their soaking juices to just cover. Add the sugar and soy sauce, simmer until most of liquid is absorbed. Cook and slice into 1/8″ strips.
* Egg Crepes: In a bowl, mix the eggs with the sugar and salt. Pour through a strainer, using the back of a spoon to speed up the process. Heat a nonstick pan on med heat just until hot. Turn the heat to low, brush the pan with oil and pour in a few tbs of egg batter. Swirl the pan to spread the egg as thin as possible. Cook until the bottom sets and flip over, cook the other side until just set. Continue until the batter is gone, stacking the crepes on a plate. Roll the stack into a log, and slice the log into 1/8″ slices. Toss to unfurl the slices. Cover and set aside.
* Sesame seeds: Put the black and white sesame seeds in a heavy skillet. Set on med heat. When the pan heats up, swirl the seeds around to toast. Pour into a bowl.
* Soybeans: Soybeans or lima beans. Drain, rinse beans and blanch until just tender. For extra flavor, mix a tbs of soy sauce with a teaspoon of wasabi and pour over the soybeans (or lima beans).
* To assemble: Mix the rice with about 3/4 of each of the prepared ingredients above, plus the ginger and nori. Put into a serving bowl, or wooden box and garnish the top with the remaining 1/4 of the ingredients.
*You mix in 3/4 of the fish and seafood with the rice and other ingredients. The remaining 1/4 goes on top.
* This makes a beautiful presentation, especially with the red of the salmon and the black sesame seeds.